Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dizzy Fifties 50K 2011

Trail was well groomed. Very few roots and rocks. I tripped several trips but did not fall. I keep wait on the fall. Several other runners hit the ground in good fashion.One lady advised me not to her to close to her because she did not want me to trip over her prone body.

The course was 3 loops. Small loop 2.3 miles,North loop 4 miles and the south loop 5.59 miles.Small to be run once and the north and south loops 3 times.You could not win the finisher award if you ran the loops out of order. Not a problem!My goal was to finish standing.

The north loop had a major hill of almost .4 of a mile. It was a walk up for us none super human runners.The south loop was mainly flat with one long inline for about a mile.The second time around I ran the the incline.

The first loop I ran with a group of about 8 runners. We would change place for the first 8 miles. I mentioned how I get lost coming out of the mall. I pulled away from the last to runners I was with at mile 8. The pace was 11:45. Slower than I need it to be on the flat section. Pace increased to 10:45. Running easy.

Get to the start/ finish station. Refill water bottle and get sandwich. Head out . Could not remember which way to go. A little tells me to go left. After nearly a mile I start wondering where the other runners are. The leaves have fallen so it is easy t0 see other runners on the switch backs. I should have been only 100 meters in front of the group.

My hands begin to get numb at mile 7. Thinking it could be from the 8 mph winds. This happened last week . I pick up the pace and start shaking my hands to increase circulation. It works.The numbness goes away.My back starts to tighten up a mile 13. I had taken off the jacket and left it at the aid station. I was wearing arm shelves. Mile 14 the right hand starts getting numb.The arm shelves are felling a little tight. A pull the arm shleve up to the forearm. The numbness disappears. Will not be racing in this pair of arm shelves again.

I exit the loop. Get to the aid station at mile 16.86. There is a problem!It should be mile 21.89. I missed the north loop and the major killer hill. No winners award for me!Can you believe it? I have to ran the north loop back to back. My spirits sink and so did the pace. Onward I drudge. The back tights up. I slow the pace and walk a little more.Eixt the loop. Drop the arm shelves and get my jacket. Start the 2nd trip on the north loop to get back on course. Now, I am seeing other runners.I make the loop in 57 minutes.The previous loop time time was55 minutes. I am still 2 minutes ahead of my 6:12:00 finish time.Clock time 5:04:x x. 5.59 miles to go.
The south and last loop.Wind is stilling gusting. The back is not as tight .The jacket is helping but is a little warm. Considered not bring the hand held on the last loop. Glad I nixed that idea. Wish I would have had a 2nd bottle. Garmin battery died at mile 25.7. No mile milers on trails. Now, I am running blind through the woods and water is low. Trying to gauge pace my effort.This is not easy when you have a Gamin addiction.I pass a few people. I am guessing I have close to 3 miles left. A younger female, I had chanted with earlier, passes me on a long gravel road incline. She gets about 15 meters ahead and I decide to pace off of her. I catch up. Get 3 steps behind her. I could tell it bothered her so I pulled up beside her.She did not have a watch. How sick is that!We have no clue of the distance to the finish line. I just force myself to stay with her. Finally pavement appears just ahead of us. The finish line in 300 meters . I turn on the last of the jets. 6:07:10. PR for50K trail..

No comments:

Post a Comment